Interim Deputy Director Cross Government Debt Policy & Strategy
Steve heads up the Cross Government Debt Policy & Strategy in the Cabinet Office and has a real drive to ensure improved efficiency and effectiveness across government. He has worked on government debt since 2001, starting as a collector on the phones in HM Customs & Excise, before moving into HMRC's debt transformation programme and then on to commercial management of its private sector debt contracts.
Steve moved into the Cabinet Office in 2016 to head up the Debt Market Integrator programme. He is now working to implement an NAO recommendation, which will see the remit of the Cross Government Debt Strategy expanded to include local authorities.
The Cross Government Debt Management strategy vision
To establish a HM government debt management function that is consistent with best practice, Departmental Strategic Objectives, and government priorities, and is effective, efficient and fair in its delivery.
The Cabinet Office's priority work
Our vision is delivered through the following priority work:
- Implementing the Cross Government Debt Management Strategy
- Embedding and assessing maturity against the HMG Debt Standard
- Engaging with the Debt Advice Sector through Fairness Group
- Providing commercial oversight for the Debt Market Integrator(DMI) contract
- Expanding the Debt Centre of Excellenceoffering
- Exploring the scope for a Debt Profession
- Facilitating debt data sharing pilots using the Digital Economy Act